7 Reasons You Should Use a Fly Sheet, Fly Mask and Fly Wraps on Your Horse
1. Skin allergies. Saliva from biting flies and gnats can cause allergic reactions, which are itchy and generally unpleasant for your horse. “Sweet itch,” a severe form, is caused by an allergic reaction to the saliva of Culicoides midges that leads to severe itching, hair loss and, sometimes, scarring. The WeatherBeeta Bugbeeta Detach-a-Neck Mesh Sheet is made from a soft, durable fine polyester mesh that keeps out even the smallest of insects. An adjustable belly wrap and large tail flap offer maximum protection.
2. External parasites. Certain types of flies, including blowflies and screwworm flies, lay eggs directly on wounds. The hatching larvae invade the injured tissue and feed on it. If left untreated, it can be deadly. The WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Airflow Fly Sheet is made from a soft and durable polyester mesh that keeps your horse cool while protecting from insects. The removable belly wrap and full-wrap tail flap offer extra protection.
3. Loose or lost shoes. Stomping from flies may loosen the nail clinches that hold your horse’s shoes in place. WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Airflow Mesh Wraps are perfect for turnout to keep your horse's legs fly-free. They're lightweight for cool protection and the fleece lined along the top helps prevent rubs.
4. Hoof injury. A horse who is irritated by flies can accidentally stomp down on the opposite foot and cause a coronet or hoof-wall injury. In addition, if your horse has weak hoof walls, stomping may further weaken the foot, whether shod or unshod.
5. Harmful UV rays. Just like humans, horses need protection from ultraviolet rays. Fly sheets, masks and wraps act like sunscreen. This helps decrease coat bleaching in dark horses and protects from sunburn and skin cancers in light-colored horses and those with areas of pink skin. The WeatherBeeta Genero Bug Sac contains everything you need to keep your horse free of insects while providing up to 70% UV block. The Genero Standard Neck Fly Sheet comes with a matching fly mask with ears and mesh fly wraps.
6. Photosensitivity. is a sun-related skin injury triggered by chemical imbalances in the horse’s body. These imbalances may be caused by certain plants, drugs or liver disease. It affects both pigmented and unpigmented areas. Protect the white areas on your horse’s face with the WeatherBeeta Airflow Fly Mask. It is made from a soft, durable polyester mesh and provides up to 60% UV block.
7. Environmental effects. Many fly repellents contain pesticides, which act as a neurotoxin in insects. They are nontoxic to most mammals, however fish and other forms of aquatic life are sensitive to their effects, and some birds can be affected as well. The WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Ripshield Plus Fly Sheet is made from a durable polyester ripstop weave that helps contain tears so your fly sheet lasts longer. A full wrap tail flap and removable belly wrap offer extra protection.
View the full range of WeatherBeeta fly sheets, fly masks and fly wraps at http://www.weatherbeeta.com.