Fighting the Flies
If there’s one thing equestrians dislike about summer, it’s hands down the flies! For horses and humans alike, flies are a complete nuisance. As well as being downright annoying, flies can cause potential harm to your horse in the form of bites, right through to the transmission of diseases. Fly Masks are a great way to protect your horse from insects, flies, dust and even UV rays. All WeatherBeeta Fly Masks have been tested against UV rays and provide at least 65%+ UV Protection.
To ensure your horse has a happy & healthy summer, free from the harm and irritation of flies and protection from the UV rays, we've provided our tips to understanding fly mask use below:
- Remove fly masks at night for better visibility, unless advised otherwise for a medical reason
- Remove the mask when it’s raining, to avoid the mask becoming covered in dirt/mud if they roll, reducing visibility
- Fit the fly mask correctly, ensuring the mask isn’t too tight across the head, eyes, ears or nose
- Remove the mask regularly and allow your horse to have time off, checking for any signs of rubbing, especially in very hot conditions
- Don’t put a dirty mask on a horse. This can cause more harm than good and possibly decrease visibility
- Create a cleaning schedule, aim to wash the fly mask every week to two weeks, or when the mask is dirty, as this can often attract more flies. If you use a fly mask with a Nose flap, you may need to wash it more frequently as this can build up hair and dirty more quickly.
- It can often be handy to have a spare fly mask, if you do find yourself needing to wash one you can pop the other one on in the meantime!
- To wash your fly mask, remove excess dirt with a hose or stiff brush. Hand washing recommended with mild soap. If machine washed, use a cool, gentle cycle. Line dry and do not tumble dry.
- During times when you're not using your mask, it is best to store away in a dry place to keep it in good condition.
View our full range of WeatherBeeta Fly Masks here: www.weatherbeeta.com/horse-accessories/fly-masks